How to find your vehicle identification number in a few different places, both off and on your vehicle:
On the Vehicle
The VIN can often be found on the lower-left corner of the dashboard, in front of the steering wheel. You can read the number by looking through the windshield.
The VIN may also appear in a number of other locations:
- Front of the engine block.This should be easy to spot by popping open the hood, and looking at the front of the engine.
- Front of the car frame,near the container that holds windshield washer fluid.
- Rear wheel well.Try looking up, directly above the tire.
- Inside the driver-side doorjamb.Open the door, and look underneath where the side-view mirror would be located if the door was shut.
- Driver-side doorpost.Open the door, and look near the spot where the door latches, not too far from the seatbelt return.
- Underneath the spare tire.
Off the Vehicle
To find your VIN, you can first check any documentation you have for the vehicle, such as:
- Vehicle Title
- Registration Card
- Insurance Documents
- Owner’s Manual.
- Repair Records
- Police Reports.
- Vehicle History Report